Content being validated
A former tanner district
A former arm of the Doubs river, the Canal des Tanneurs runs along Rue Pasteur in Dôle, named during the scientist's lifetime in 1886. It was known as Rue des Chevannes (hemp) in the 13th century as numerous hemp processing establishments were installed there. The tanners followed in their footsteps to the point that it became Rue des Tanneurs as mills used the hydraulic power of the canal in the 16th century. Relatively unsanitary, the district was rehabilitated in 1970, and Rue Pasteur is the most visited in Dôle today.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration