Content being validated
The Promenade des Anglais
0
0
The current Promenade des Anglais is a modernized and enlarged version of the promenade initiated by the wintering English community of Nice in the 1820s. The initial "camin dei Inglés" or "Chemin des Anglais" following a route drawn in 1830 went from the mouth of the Paillon to the valley of Magnan. In 1844, the first 39-feet (12 m) wide section was raised 16 ft (5 m) above sea level and took the name of "Lungomare degli Inglesi" (Promenade des Anglais) around 1855. The promenade was then widened by 36 ft (11 m) to create an alley with a double row of trees and gradually extended to the mouth of the Var. At the beginning of the 20th century, palaces and hotels replaced the villas and gardens that bordered the Promenade des Anglais, and the traffic imposed new widenings that virtually gave it its current aspect from the beginning of the 1930s.
Read More
Translate
Related content

Media currently exploring