Content being validated
The Belfry, the procession gate
The Belfry of Besse en Chandesse dates back to the middle of the 15th century and was restored several times since. Originally built out of wood over the fortified town gate, it took its present form in 1724, a large square tower made of lava stone topped by an octagonal section and a bell tower housing the clock. This door is used by the procession of Notre-Dame de Vassivière, when the statue of the Black Madonna leaves the church of Saint-André (where it is exhibited in winter) to spend the summer in the chapel of Vassivière.
Read More
Related content

Media currently exploring