Content being validated
The Hôtel des Invalides today
Built between 1671 and 1676 to house the sick and disabled soldiers of Louis XIV’s army, the Hôtel des Invalides is now assigned to the Ministry of Defence. Although it has retained its original function as a hospital-hospice for the seriously wounded or maimed in war, it also houses several museums – the Army Museum, the Museum of the Plans-Reliefs and the Museum of the Order of the Liberation. The heart of the Invalides is occupied by two adjoining churches: the Dome church and the Saint-Louis des Invalides cathedral. The Cour d’Honneur (courtyard of honour) is used for national tributes to soldiers killed in operations or to civilian personalities.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration