Content being validated
The Tuileries Gardens
The Jardin des Tuileries (Tuileries Gardens), in the centre of the photo, separates the Louvre Museum from the Place de la Concorde. André Le Nôtre, King Louis XIV’s gardener, laid out the garden in the French style from 1664. The Tuileries Gardens owes its name to the tile factories that occupied the site on which, in 1564, Catherine de Medici had the Tuileries Palace built, which burned down in 1871. This garden with its two ponds is criss-crossed by paths dotted with statues by Maillol, Rodin, and Giacometti. A popular place for Parisians and tourists to stroll, the garden is bordered to the southwest by the Musée de l’Orangerie, rich in works by Monet.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration