Content being validated
A brief history of Moustiers
0
0
Despite traces of human presence dating back to prehistoric times and antiquity, the small town of Moustiers is considered to have been founded in the 5th century by monks. Its monastery was attached to the Abbey of Lérins until the town joined the domain of the Counts of Provence. In the 13th century, the Count of Provence granted a consulate to the inhabitants and established the seat of a bailiff in Moustiers, which quickly became a small regional capital. The village then enjoyed great fame in the 17th and 18th centuries thanks to the 'faience of Moustiers' with a beautiful milky white enamel and a blue called 'bleu de Moustiers'. Moustiers became Moustiers-Sainte-Marie in 1848.
Read More
Translate
Related content

Media currently exploring