Content being validated
From a dove to Dom Pérignon
The legend tells that the foundation of the Benedictine abbey of Hautvillers was due to a dove. It would have indicated the building site to Saint Nivard, Archbishop of Reims and nephew of Frankish King Dagobert. The renowned Dom Pierre Pérignon (1639-1715) was in charge of the abbey's cellars from 1668 until his death. He revolutionized champagne production with its manufacturing method and contributed to its fame. Hautvillers Abbey is listed under the Coteaux, Maisons et Caves de Champagne (Hills, Houses, and Cellars of Champagne) entry on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration