Content being validated
From a convent to a high school
The Abbaye-aux-Hommes in Caen was built by the future William the Conqueror in 1060. The Hundred Years' War and the French Wars of Religion brought it troubles. The galleries of the cloister were rebuilt on the Tuscan model from 1725. False rectangular columns surmounted by a Doric capital frame round arches. Only the north gallery still bears an escutcheon with the coat of arms of the first Bishop of the abbey in 1490. The convent buildings and their cloister became the Lycée Impérial (Imperial High School) in 1806. The monks' cells were demolished to make dormitories in 1880, and the French garden was transformed into a playground.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration