Content being validated
Stained-glass windows throughout centuries
0
0
Its 1.60 acres (6,500 m²) of glass walls earned it the nickname "Lantern of God." The Cathedral of Saint Stephen in Metz lets the light pass through numerous stained-glass windows. Those made by Herman of Munster date from the end of the 14th century. The works of Thibaut of Lixheim and Valentin Bousch date back to the Renaissance. The cathedral is also adorned with contemporary creations such as the tall windows made by Pierre Gaudin in 1954. The stained-glass windows by Jacques Villon (1957) and Roger Bissière (1959) complete them. Marc Chagall also contributed to the reputation of the cathedral with stained glass windows inspired by the Old Testament, crafted between 1962 and 1969.
Read More
Translate
Related content

Media currently exploring