Content being validated
The discovery and study of the Pech-Merle cave
In 1922, three children from the village of Cabrerets in the Lot department discovered the prehistoric galleries of the lower network of the Pech-Merle cave. Immediately after this find, Father Amédée Lemozi, prehistorian, and priest of the Cabrerets parish, began to study the paintings and engravings there. In 1926, the cave was opened to the public and then classified as a Historic Monument in 1952. The town of Cabrerets also became its owner in 1973 and therefore still manages the visits today.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration