Content being validated
Born from the 17th-century fervor
The site of Notre-Dame-de-Victoire Chapel and the priory of the Sainte-Victoire mountain was developed in the 17th century. Back then, France was experiencing significant religious fervor following the Wars of Religion of the 16th century and the signature of the Edict of Nantes in 1598. The frequent pilgrimages gave rise to large gatherings of Christians who traveled on foot the roughly 50 miles (80 km) round trip that separated the town of Pertuis from the Notre-Dame-de-Victoire chapel. They climbed the mountain by following a steep and rocky path on an elevation gain of about 1,968 ft (600 m). Today, more than 60,000 visitors, mostly tourists, continue to pass through the priory's porch each year.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration