Content being validated
An exceptional monument
After the construction of Napoleon’s tomb, the Hôtel des Invalides continued its function as an exceptional monument. In 1871, the Artillery Museum, whose collections were housed in the cloister of Saint-Thomas d’Aquin in Paris, moved to the Invalides. It was joined in 1897 by the brand new Musée Historique de l’Armée, created following the 1889 Word Fair, and by the services of the military governor of Paris. The two museums merged in 1905 under the name Musée de l’Armée. The First World War brought a revival of patriotic interest and war trophies were displayed in the Cour d’Honneur.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration