Content being validated
Access reserved to professed monks
The east gallery of the cloister led to the abbey church, the dimensions of which were far from the simplicity desired by the Cistercian order. Only professed monks could use this entrance. The lay brothers entered the church through a door at the very bottom of the nave. Built between 1228 and 1235, the abbey church was dismantled during the Revolution. The former banker of the Jeu de la Reine, the Marquis de Travanet, now citizen Bourguet, bought the abbey and had the church demolished in order to use the stones. A stair turret, the south side of the nave and some foundations are the only traces of the huge church.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration