Content being validated
A starting point and a maritime base
The name of Honfleur probably comes from Hona, a Viking chief, and fleur, which means on the river. The town consists of three main districts: Saint-Léonard, L'Enclos, and Sainte-Catherine. The Vieux Bassin, along Quai Sainte-Catherine, was built by Colbert between 1668 and 1690 and contributed to Honfleur's maritime prosperity. The city became a starting point to Quebec, Newfoundland, and the West Indies. The King's privateers used it as a home base, such as Jean-François Doublet, Jean Bart's companion.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration