Content being validated
A pink lighthouse installed in 1905
0
0
The lighthouse that currently sits at the end of the tip of Cap Béar was only operated in 1905 and succeeded an old fixed light at the top of the Colline de Béar (Béar Hill). Put to use in 1836, the fixed light consisted of an oil lamp placed in the focus of a parabolic silver-plated mirror and operated at night by three watchmen. Due to its location set back from the coast, it had uncertain visibility in foggy weather and was, therefore, replaced by the current lighthouse. From the top of its tower made of pink marble blocks from Villefranche, the eclipse-type lighthouse rises on a rocky platform at an altitude of 259 ft (79 m).
Read More
Translate
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration