Content being validated
A chaotic history
Saint-Sindulphus Church stands in Hautvillers Abbey. The site experienced a troubled history. The abbey, built in 650 by the bishop of Reims, was first destroyed by the Normans in 882. Following a thorough restoration, it was burnt by the English armies in 1449. Dom Royer had the abbey rebuilt again in 1518, shortly before the Huguenots razed it in 1564. The abbey raised again from its ashes thanks to the donations of Catherine de' Medici, but the French Revolution had it cease its activities. The tombstone of Dom Pérignon, to whom the site owes its renown, stands inside Hautvillers Abbey.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration