Content being validated
A centralization of charity works
The Hôtel-Dieu of Carpentras was built from 1750 onwards to bring together in a vast organized, centralized, and adapted structure the many charity works previously dispersed in scattered, small, and dilapidated establishments. The project of its founder, Bishop Malachie d'Inguimbert, who died ten years before the completion of the building, was part of the tradition of local charity embodied in a generous foundation for the poor. The Hôtel-Dieu was designed by Antoine d'Alleman and established by the Avignon architects Joseph Jourdan and Jean-Baptiste Lambertin. The first patients were transferred to the new hospital on September 6, 1761, but the work was not completed until the beginning of 1769 by Jean-Pierre Tessier.
Read More
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration