Content being validated
A castle rebuilt on medieval ramparts
0
0
The castle of Rocamadour dominates the town 229 ft (70 m) above the sanctuary. Little is known about its history, except that it was occupied by the English in 1385. Though it was owned by the Abbot of Tulle, who sold it in 1796, it was uninhabited in the 17th century. The Bishops of Cahors bought the castle in 1850, and buildings were rebuilt on the ruins. They also added a belfry with chimes to the entrance tower in 1895. The castle of Rocamadour was rebuilt against 14th-century medieval ramparts that offer a 360° view of the Alzou canyon.
Read More
Translate
Related content

Médias en cours d’exploration