Content being validated
A museum created in the 19th century
0
0
The French Revolution led to the dissolution of the Dominican community of Unterlinden. In 1793, the nuns left the convent, which had become the property of the City of Colmar. The convent buildings were turned into barracks and left abandoned until the middle of the 19th century. Louis Hugot, archivist of the City of Colmar, saves the convent from demolition by transforming it into a museum. The archaeological discoveries of Bergheim complete the confirmation of the status of museum in the convent and then in the chapel. The Unterlinden Museum was born and opened in 1853.
Read More
Translate
Related content

Media currently exploring